Starting July 5, 2023, all SMS and MMS messages to U.S. phone numbers using 10DLC phone numbers must be part of a registered A2P campaign. Failure to comply may result in message blocking. Ensure your phone numbers and messaging campaigns are properly registered to avoid disruption in your messaging services.
Covered in this Article
What do you need to know?
- Starting July 5, 2023, all SMS and MMS messages to U.S. phone numbers using 10DLC phone numbers must go through a registered A2P campaign.
- Setting up new phone numbers or messaging campaigns will require additional time for data collection, submission, processing, and third-party approval.
- If you send messages using unregistered phone numbers, Phone providers will gradually increase message blocking, starting July 5, 2023, leading to a full block after August 31, 2023.
- Blocked messages will receive error code 30034 for unregistered 10DLC messages.
- Unregistered Messaging rates will still apply, even for blocked messages.
- To check your phone numbers' A2P 10DLC registration status, refer to our LC Phone System Trust Center guide.
Why is this happening?
- Starting July 5, 2023, message blocking will gradually increase to allow customers to transition to registered A2P campaigns before the Phone providers fully block unregistered messages on August 31, 2023.
- Major U.S. telecommunications carriers require U.S. A2P 10DLC registration to establish a fully verified messaging ecosystem.
What do you need to do?
- No further action is needed if you already use registered A2P campaigns for all your U.S. messaging.
- If you rely on provisioning new 10DLC phone numbers to send messages to U.S. recipients, associate those numbers with an approved A2P campaign or initiate a new A2P campaign registration.
- Note that A2P campaign registration takes time and requires third-party cooperation for carrier approval. Refer to our A2P 10DLC Campaign Vetting Changes guide for processing time updates. Check out A2P 10DLC Campaign Approval Best Practices.
- Consider using Toll-Free phone numbers and completing Toll-Free Verification as an alternative to A2P 10DLC for your specific use cases.